I just have a bit of time before going out … thought i’d make a little post about how i set this blog up.
- I already had my own domain name, so that was easy.
- I downloaded the source code for WordPress 2.2.1 and unzipped it locally to try it out first.
- All i had to do was create the database and then the install page sets it all up, easy peasy.
- I experimented with three OpenID plugins, settling on WP-OpenID+. That allows me to log in with OpenID, and commenters to use OpenID to authenticate their comments.
- I fiddled and fiddled and fiddled with the gazillion configuration options! Always a fun thing to do! :)
- I modified header.php to include the three lines of code that link this blog into my openid.net identity. This means i can use this blog as an OpenID URL. Very nice! :)
Well, that was about it, really. Of course, you can get a WordPress blog which is hosted at WordPress itself, but i was wanting to be in control of my own blog here, which is why i’ve chosen to download the code and host it myself. I’m really pleased with the freedom it has given me.
For those who want to know, this is how i allow this blog to be an OpenID identity, authenticating with openid.net …